I recently read one of those, 'What not to... after ____ [you fill in the age blank]' articles. I have to tell you, the article left me more confused and, well, angry, than prior to my reading it.
I grew up in an era where the gender roles were fairly well defined. The notions set in concrete ten years prior had been slowly denigrated by a World War where the men were needed to fight, leaving many of their jobs in need of workers. Enter Rosie the Riveter.
Women discovered they could work a job AND run a household. It wasn't easy, but they did it. When the men came back from war with notions rooted in the 19th century, the women were forced to bite their tongues and comply, or cause friction for men whose lives had been disrupted during the previous four to five years by unspeakable horrors.
My parents chose the traditional path, and I was raised in such a household. Now, the lessons I learned about being a woman, apparently, put me on the wrong side of the equation when in the workplace.
Don't defer to others to smooth the waters;
Don't tell others you'll give an unknown job your 'best shot';
Don't hesitate before speaking;
Don't say, 'In my honest opinion'...
The list is endless.
I ride a Harley Davidson Heritage Softtail motorcycle weighing 750 lbs, have a tattoo on half of my back, have physically thrown a man out of a barroom door, and, if necessary, can swear any sailor under the table. But the manners and courtesy I was taught as a youngster make me appear weak. Go figure.
Sable Angel

No comments:
Post a Comment