Please welcome Jean M. Grant Soul of the Storm
Jean M. Grant will be awarding a $20 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.
Soul of the Storm
by Jean M. Grant
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GENRE: Contemporary Romance
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INTERVIEW:
What or who inspired you to start writing?
My mother was a poet and artist. As a middle-schooler I wrote sappy poems, usually sad ones. I moved on to a few cool/angsty short stories. I would have to say my mother’s artistic voice and painter’s brush influenced the creative author in me and gave me that first nudge. Then in college I dug into novels after reading the likes of Judy Garwood and Diana Gabaldon. I fell in love with historical Scotland and romance. That sucked me in…drew me straight down the rabbit hole!
What elements are necessary components for this genre?
For any genre, you need characters with well-developed traits and a goals, motivations, and conflicts. A Happy Ever After is also a must in any romance. Sometimes we can get away with a “happy for now,” too. You want strong, but flawed protagonists, and if you have a villain they need to be equally developed, complex, and sympathetic. A balance of dialogue and narrative is a must, and in my own opinion, I strive for a vivid setting that sweeps the reader away. You want the story to be realistic and believable, too.
What expertise did you bring to your writing?
I enjoy nature and I’m an avid hiker. I visited the region where this book takes place (the Mad River Glen in Vermont) and hiked part of the Long Trail. I’m also a scientist by training and one of my characters is a high school science teacher. I live in New England, so I was excited to write a story in my own region of the country.
What would you want your readers to know about you that might not be in your bio?
Here’s a few:
Oxford comma, yes or no? Yes, a thousand times, yes.
Ice cream (favorite flavor)?Vanilla. In summer I love a twist soft serve with sprinkles/jimmies.
Coffee or tea or wine?Coffee, all day and every day.
What does my desk look like?Pink Post-it’s, organized clipboards with charts, a red pen, black pen, and pencil, my bobble-head Snoopy, a pile of books at my feet and kids’ toys around me (did I mention my desk is in the kids’ playroom?).
As far as your writing goes, what are your future plans?
I have a women’s fiction novel that also just released (April 17th) and I am writing the third book in my Scottish (paranormal) historical romance trilogy. I also plan to write more contemporary romances and mainstream/women’s fiction novels.
Do you belong to a critique group? If so how does this help or hinder your writing?
Critique partners and groups are must-have for any author. I would not be where I am without my close friend and fellow author Lorraine for the past 20 years. She has read it all. And I mean ALL. Short stories, contest entries, query letters galore, synopses, first (and second) drafts, final versions, magazine articles…all of it. I have a core group of beta readers, too, who have read closer-to-being-ready versions of my manuscripts. I’ve also exchanged manuscripts with critique partners I connected with through social media and writer outlets. I am a member of several writing groups online, and one in-person group. The support and resources from all the above is invaluable and has truly helped me on my career path.
What is the best and worst advice you ever received? (regarding writing or publishing)
Best: Kill your darlings! Do it! Just do it! It hurts at first, but it WILL make for a better read.
Worst: Kill all adverbs. Some are okay. Really. Just don’t overuse them. It is a balance.
Invaluable: A few writing books that are gems: Goals, Motivation, and Conflict (The building blocks of fiction) by Debra Dixon, the entire Thesaurus series by Ackerman and Puglisi, Eats, Shoots, and Leaves by Strunk & White, to name a few! Not to mention Grammar Girl (she makes grammar easy and cool).
And my own: The 3 P’s. Patience, Perseverance, and Putting in the Time. This type of career takes time, adaptability, and open minds. But you can do it if you put your mind to it!
Do you outline your books or just start writing?
I love charts and outlines. Love! I spend a few weeks working on them before I write. Sometimes I sit with the idea for a few months. I have detailed charts on characters including their GMC and everything I’d want to know about them. I then make a plot outline. However, sometimes my characters take me down a different road and jump ahead with scenes or steer me on a different path. It all works out in the end.
How do you maintain your creativity?
Nature and travel! The outdoors is my Zen, my escape, my muse. I love the fresh air, the serene beauty, and the time with my thoughts (or I should say “our” as I tend to hike and go on outdoor adventures with my family). I find inspiration in life experiences, in stories (be it the news or some experience told to me by a close friend), and in the everyday. Observation of people and the world around us can trigger the most unusual ideas. Music also helps keep me in check, depending on what I am writing.
Who is your favorite character in the book. Can you tell us why?
I have thing for my heroes. Though I enjoyed digging deep into Charlotte’s emotional backstory, I found myself falling for Matiu, my hero. He is even-keeled, down to earth, a messy slob (I am not!), loves his dog (big thanks to my critique partner for suggesting I add that element), attractive inside and out, genuine, hardworking, and has an interesting cultural upbringing. He also loves the outdoors, as do I. I’d go for a hike or kayak with him any day!
BLURB:
Charlotte MacGregor lost the thrill of conquering mountains five years ago when her sister disappeared on a hiking adventure without her. Still guilt-ridden, Charlotte heads for a vacation to rustic Vermont with a friend—where she's surrounded by reminders of her devastating loss and plagued with unanswered questions.
Matiu Christiansen is an outdoors buff. He works multiple jobs to save for his dream of owning an outfitter in New Zealand. He's never quite felt at home in the United States and he yearns for his Maori roots, but his attraction to Charlotte puts a kink in his plans to move home later this year.
Thrown together by coincidence, Charlotte and Matiu form a kindred bond through their shared love of the outdoors. Can Charlotte surmount her demons to assist Matiu on a rescue when a late-season snowstorm hits? And can Matiu help Charlotte heal from the pain of the past?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EXCERPT:
She went to feel her ring on her finger with her thumb…but the ring wasn’t there. That old habit would not die even years later.
A dog bark intruded. The man crossed to the back door. “Reka, sweet girl, take your nap. Only a few hours here and then home, okay?” He spoke to her like a father to a toddler. The dog barked again. “A swim and walk this morning weren’t enough for you?”
He approached the dog, petted it, and whispered affections.
Charlotte made a soundless “Aww” and kept perusing.
The man returned, nearer. Residual sweat traced his brow. He pointed to a selection of books in the middle. “These are the best. Depends on what you’re looking for. Honest reviews or glorified fantasies?”
“Honest reviews, always.”
He stroked a hand through his neck-length black hair, the longer top layer falling over his forehead. He squatted and withdrew a few books from the lower shelf. “You could go with the popular or famous names, sure, but I like these authors.” He handed her one.
A book on South America sat in her hands. She muttered, “Thanks. Don’t need that one.”
“Oh, already been there, eh? All good, all good.” He took it and shoved it back on the shelf. “Where do your dreams lie then?”
She swallowed. No, I wasn’t there in that way. I was supposed to have been there. Five years ago. Instead she said, “Well, Vermont for now.”
“You’re in luck. I’m from Willow Springs.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AUTHOR Bio and Links:
Jean’s background is in science and she draws from her interests in history, nature, and her family for inspiration. She writes historical and contemporary romances and women’s fiction. She also writes articles for family-oriented travel magazines. When she’s not writing or chasing children, she enjoys tending to her flower gardens, hiking, and doing just about anything in the outdoors.
Social Media links:
Buy links:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Itunes
Walmart
Kobo
Google Play
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVEAWAY INFORMATION and RAFFLECOPTER CODE:
Jean M. Grant will be awarding a $20 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.



Thanks for hosting!
ReplyDeleteWould you ever like to see your book turned into a movie?
ReplyDeleteThat would always be a loving thing to see. :)
DeleteGreat excerpt, thanks for sharing
ReplyDelete