Please welcome Virginia Crow author of Baptism of Fire
Virginia Crow will be awarding a $10 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.
Baptism of Fire
by Virginia Crow
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GENRE: Thriller
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INTERVIEW:
What elements are necessary components for this genre?
Baptism of Fire is my first thriller and, though I’m loathed to admit it, most of my knowledge of this genre comes from films rather than books. I did know that I wanted a pleasant, cosy landscape for the dark events, just to give a heightened sense of disbelief. I also wanted to make the characters as “normal” as possible, so you couldn’t help but connect with at least one aspect of them.
And then, of course, the climactic ending, during which everything has to be explained. Readers want to see an ending which makes sense of all the twists and turns along the way.
How did you come up with your idea for your novel?
I always try to write stories which deal with normal people, usually people in historical scenarios, but Baptism of Fireis my first published book which is not historical. Because of this, it meant that certain locations were already in my head. The actual storyline was something I came up with quite a while ago, but I didn’t start properly writing it until 2019. I knew I wanted to write something which, although it has some really dark parts in it, could be uplifting too. It just grew and grew.
What would you want your readers to know about you that might not be in your bio?
I believe in the best in people and life! I think it comes across in my writing, I certainly hope it does! But I am an eternal optimist. I want to spread some of that optimism around with my writing. Baptism of Firehas its fair share of dips below the horizon of happiness but, throughout it all, hope and belief in both people and faith keep even the cruelest events facing forward instead of back.
As far as your writing goes, what are your future plans?
Next year I have two books coming out – so a big year!
On 22ndJanuary, The Stealth of Caledonis released. This is the second book in my Historical Fantasy series (there’ll be 6 in total) which is set in post-Culloden Scotland.
In April 2021, The Year We Lived is being launched. This is another Historical Fiction book, set eight years after the Norman conquest. Historical writing is my go-to genre. And this book has a plot twist which is so awesome, it’s virtually a spiral!
If you could be one of the characters from this book, who would it be and why?
The great thing about being an author is that you get to be all the characters! There is a lot of me in each one of the three main characters in Baptism of Fire. Kevin has all my neuroses, Alastair has my faith, and Jilly has my optimism. All of them have a pretty rough journey through the book, so I’m not sure I’d want to swap places with them, though. If I had to choose, I’d probably go for none of those three and pick Father Levosky, the chaplain, because he really knows what’s what and isn’t afraid to say so!
Can you give us a sneak peek into this book?
Absolutely! This book follows the story of two incomers in an idyllic village, who ultimately touch the lives of the other inhabitants as they learn to love and accept one another’s histories. Of course, the past is only valuable if we can grow from it and learn from it, so the forming of their futures plays a hugely significant part. Above all, Baptism of Firelooks at the fundamental human desire for family and faith.
Do you belong to a critique group? If so how does this help or hinder your writing?
Not exactly…
There is a local writers’ circle, but it’s on a Tuesday evening and I work evenings. I was invited along once to run a session, which was lovely. But I have an in-house critique group because I’m part of a family of writers. It’s absolutely fantastic, because it means we can be entirely honest with one another. There have been some criticisms from them which, if anyone else had made, would have really put me off both my story and the critic. But they were points which needed making, and Baptism of Firewas full of them at the first draft stage!
When did you first decide to submit your work? Please tell us what or who encouraged you to take this big step?
This is book number 4 for me, and I’m in the fantastic position of being a Crowvus author. Crowvus is a co-operative of authors-turned-publishers. But the choice to put my writings “out there” came from my two younger sisters. They were sure I should share my books, and the belief they had (and hopefully still have!) in my words inspired me to share my novels.
Do you outline your books or just start writing?
That depends on the book! In the case of Baptism of Fire, I knew the bare bones of the story. Then I just set Kevin, Alastair and Jilly off on their paths. As long as they reached where they were meant to be, I didn’t really mind how they got there!
Who is your favorite character in the book? Can you tell us why?
My favourite character is Alastair because he keeps going no matter what. I’ve always had a thing about people who totally devote their lives to other people and, from long before the book starts, this is exactly what Alastair has done. He is exceptionally good at the British “stiff upper lip”, and constantly tries not to let his own thoughts have a negative bearing on everyone else. There’s one conversation quite late in the book where he’s explaining all he wants to achieve, and everything is for everyone else. I appreciate that selflessness!
Are your plotting bunnies, angels or demons?
It’s a cliché, I know, but I’m going for both. In life, we tend to end up having both, don’t we? I love that point in a book where you think you really know a character and then the author drops a sudden revelation on you. Of course, the best times are when subtle clues have been dropped in along the way, so when you re-read the book you’re like: “Wow, how did I not see that coming?!” [Yes, this does happen in Baptism of Fire, but no spoilers allowed!] To that end, I’m going for the angels andthe demons.
Anything else you might want to add?
Let no one persuade you books are anything short of magical. Through them we can do anything and go anywhere. Keep reading!
Thank you so much for hosting me and Baptism of Fire, Angels!
BLURB:
Kevin gripped Jilly’s coat and his voice became little more than a whisper. “I’m cursed, Jilly. Everyone who looks after me dies in a fire, or someone they love does. I don’t know how to stop it.”
When Rev. Alastair Roberts adopts Kevin Alderman, he dismisses any reference to the boy’s curse. But, as the pair spend more time in each other’s company, it becomes apparent that Kevin is not the only one with a bitter past.
As the past continues to haunt them, can they hope to change their future?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EXCERPT:
“Where’s Kevin?” He looked around the room, panic seeping into him, but he forced himself to keep smiling. “Tuck in,” he continued. “I’ll just go find him.”
He squeezed past the gathered people, but Trish stopped him at the door.
“Are you alright, Vicar?” she asked, her voice clipped but her tone caring.
“I’m just going to find Kevin,” he explained.
“Did he do it?”
“Do what?” Alastair asked, confusion on his face.
“That,” she said, pointing at the dresser.
“No,” Alastair whispered, staring at the array of crossed out photographs. He didn’t know whether the word was in answer to Trish’s question or a statement of disbelief. Perhaps it was both. He took the door handle and put all his weight onto it.
“Do you want me to go find him?” she asked. “He’ll just be outside.”
“No, I’ll go. But would you do something for me?” he asked, looking over his shoulder at the other people.
“Yes. What is it?”
“Don’t make a fuss, just take them down.”
Trish placed her hand on his arm and nodded across at him. Alastair stepped out of the room and back over to the French windows, then out into the garden. The sudden change from clear electric lights into the darkness took his eyes a moment to adjust, and he stood still for a time, waiting for them to focus.
“Kevin?” he called softly. There were one or two people still standing by the bonfire, smokers mainly, but Kevin wasn’t with them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AUTHOR Bio and Links:
Virginia grew up in Orkney, using the breath-taking scenery to fuel her imagination and the writing fire within her. When she's not writing, Virginia is usually to be found teaching music. She believes wholeheartedly in the power of music, especially as a tool of inspiration. She also helps out with the John o' Groats Book Festival which is celebrating its 4th year next April.
Virginia lives in the far-flung corner of Scotland, soaking in inspiration from the rugged cliffs and miles of sandy beaches.
She loves cheese, music and films, but hates mushrooms.
Author Links:
Website: www.crowvus.com
Twitter: @DaysDyingGlory
Facebook: /DaysDyingGlory
The Book is on SALE for $0.99 During the Tour
Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1031177
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVEAWAY INFORMATION and RAFFLECOPTER CODE
Virginia Crow will be awarding a $10 Amazon or B/N GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.
http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/28e4345f3471



Hello Angels! Thank you so much for hosting my book on your fantastic blog! I hope your readers enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the Angel's blog. I hope you have a great tour. Allana Angel
ReplyDeleteGreat excerpt and giveaway. :)
ReplyDeleteDo you ever suffer from writer’s block and, if so, how do you overcome it?
ReplyDeletethis sounds really good
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to reading this.
ReplyDeleteThank you for your comments! Please do get in touch to let me know what you think to the book - I always put my writer email at the front of my books - I love feedback!
ReplyDeleteYes, Peggy, unfortunately I do get writer's block! I tend to find I get it most when I have loads of time to write, which is just typical! My way of overcoming it is usually to do more planning, then I get back into the world I'm creating and feel able to write in it again!
I appreciate hearing about your book, thanks and for the giveaway also. Thanks so much!
ReplyDeleteSounds awesome! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete