Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Rogue's Angels Present: Poisoned Pawn by David Siegel Bernstein

Please welcome David Siegel Bernstein author of Poisoned Pawn

David Siegel Bernstein will be awarding a $25 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.


Poisoned Pawn
byDavid Siegel Bernstein

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GENRE  Detective, Mystery

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INTERVIEW:

1. What or who inspired you to start writing?

I want to start by thanking the Rogue’s Angels for taking the time and space for this interview. 

My bibliophile and poet mother, and my mystery loving grandmother were my early writing inspirations. Between the two of them I had read a library’s worth of books before I left high school. Of course, my mom gave me a lot of home writing assignments. Reinforcing my love of mysteries, I watched just about every mystery ever aired on PBS and BBC with my father.

And like any snot-nosed kid, I got it into my head that I could write a book than the ones I was reading. You can imagine how that went. The ability to write Poisoned Pawn comes from years of practice and hundreds of written short stories. 

2. What elements are necessary components for this genre?
I’m a firm believer that mysteries cry out for quirky characters. In what other genre could Nero Wolfe solve crimes while never leaving the house and sipping his afternoon beer? Where else could Ms. Marple snoop as she knits away without being confined to a rest home? Where else could Hercule Poirot wax his mustache as his little gray cells solve a crime? Where else could Holmes, you know, be Homes? Of course my characters in my latest book Poisoned Pawnare much quirkier and better than them. Another element of the modern mystery is thriller components mashed up with sexual tension. Poisoned Pawnyells back with a fast-paced story loaded with femme and homme fatales.  


3. How did you come up with your idea for your novel?

Originally, I wanted to write a series of mystery short stories. I discovered along the way that I had a very large story to tell so they morphed into this novel. 

I enjoy thinking up the perfect crime and fictionally getting away with it… almost. It is all about creating puzzles that appear unsolvable. My heroes struggle to a solution and sometimes, if you pay close attention in my stories, so will you.  For Poisoned Pawn, character comes first. I want you love Caleb and to be annoyed by Holmes. After that it is all puzzles, mysteries, hotness, and action.




4. What expertise did you bring to your writing?

My writing expertise comes from: practice, practice, practice. My fiction credits encompass two novelettes and over sixty shorts. My nonfiction has appeared in newsletters, popular blogs, academic journals and I authored the book Blockbuster Science: The Real Science in Science Fiction.

Other way I’ve attained writing competence is via writing community osmosis. I serves on the board of directors for the Philadelphia Writers' Conference and I leads the Words-in-Progress writers’ group.

My expertise at murder isn’t as complete. In fact, I’ve never killed anyone. Poisoned Pawnis a work of fiction, not autobiographical. The only weapon I wield in real life is a sharp tongue to cut down my critics… errr, I mean my enemies. My hidden backup piece is my wit. Rarely used, I’m told.


5. What would you want your readers to know about you that might not be in your bio?

I have a black belt in Tae Kwon Do (been training since I was a wee lad) and taught martial art classes at the university where I did my undergraduate work.This is the style of fighting Poisoned Pawnmain character Caleb uses in fight scenes.

I have a kick-ass comic collection (which makes me popular with the ladies). And, I enjoy a good game of chess.

To go with my tough guy motif, I own a Toy Poodle named Ringo Biggles Woofington. Is Mr. Woofington in Poisoned Pawn? I’m not telling. Read it and find out.


6. As far as your writing goes, what are your future plans?

I’m working on the next book in the Caleb Jacobs series titled The Queen’s Gambit.A frighteningly skilled assassin hires Jacobs to find her latest assignment and to then protect him from her.

I’m also working on a science fiction novel set on a planet where time is literally a currency. The wealthy live for hundreds of years in dewy youth while the poor are geriatric. 


7. If you could be one of the characters from this book, who would it be and why?

This is a tough question. The characters are all so broken. Except perhaps one. So, if I’m allowed for the sake of this question to cross genders, it would have to be Penelope. She is smart, underestimated (an advantage) and always one step ahead of the main character Caleb. She is the perfect Angel of Destruction or Angel of Hope. To find out which, read Poisoned Pawn.


8. Can you give us a sneak peek into this book?

Here is brief excerpt. Enjoy. 

I opened my eyes. A ceiling fan whirled slowly above me. Pain erupted in my chest when I raised my head to look around. So it hadn’t been a dream. I did get my ass kicked.

Where am I? I lifted up the blanket. I wore only my boxers.I dropped my head back onto a pillow. 

“Good morning sleepy head,” a familiar voice said. Gum popped. 

“Penelope?” I turned my head and saw her standing in the doorway, wearing a retro 1960s-styled paisley blue dress. Today Liang’s assistant was platinum blonde with long thick eyelashes. The action of looking cost me more pain. I moaned.

She rushed to my bedside, holding a glass. “Move slowly. I didn’t feel any breaks but your ribs are bruised. You’re going to be tender there for a while. I doubt a lung was punctured. Your breathing sounds clear but you have to get an X-Ray. You might also have a concussion.”

She handed me the glass and a couple of pills. “I brought you Ibuprofen. It’s all I have. Sorry.”

She sounded like a trained medic. I pushed myself into a sitting position and accepted the offering. The cool water tasted good. “What’s going on?”

She settled herself on the edge of the bed. “You not saying thank-you. This girl appreciates gratitude.”

“For what?”

“Tell me the last thing you remember?”


9. Do you belong to a critique group? If so how does this help or hinder your writing?

I lead the Words-in-Progress writers’ group. We critique member’s creative work ranging from flash fiction to novel excerpts, from article writing to memoirs. I found going over my material with them both frustrating and fulfilling. It helped me nail down my directions and scene timing. For example, the streets of New York and how long it would take some to get from one location to another. Minutiae like that. 


10. Do you outline your books or just start writing?

My process is a messy one. I write when I have the free time and in almost any location. To make matters worse—for fiction—I do not write from an outline. I let the story unfold organically. The characters in Poisoned Pawntold me what’s needed to be done. That said, I do workshop parts in a writing group I lead. 

On the other hand for my nonfiction books such as Blockbuster Science: The Real Science in Science Fiction, I do create an outline and spent part of each day conducting research before pen to paper (cursor to screen). 


11. Who is your favorite character in the book. Can you tell us why?

My favorite character is Margret Liang. I have to admit I’m a little afraid of her. She is sexy, deadly, and always in control. If I ever had a sinful thought about her—I wouldn’t be around to write the sequel. 



BLURB:

Caleb Jacobs is a man with a past. After serving on a failed dark ops assignment in Afghanistan, he leaves Marine Corps Intelligence to try to build a new life in Philadelphia as a homicide police detective.

Jacobs is happy, for a time, until he is assigned to solve the murder of Shannon Faraday. During the investigation, he is convinced the evidence points to him as the killer. He knows it is only a matter of time before other investigators see the same. He has no alibi and the clock is counting down.

Behind his partner’s back, Jacobs hires a private investigator named Lawrence Holmes. The PI is an irritation to the police, but he is unmistakably brilliant. And, many powerful people in the city owe him favors. Holmes is a bit odd. He insists on calling Jacobs Watson but claims to never have heard the name Sherlock. Jacobs can live with this kind of crazy as long as together they find the real killer.

They quickly link the murder to a series of seemingly unrelated crimes occurring throughout Philadelphia, and Jacobs becomes convinced the murder is related to the truth of what had happened during his time in Afghanistan. Old secrets have come back to haunt him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EXCERPT:

I felt like shit for having to hire a private investigator, especially one who was most likely insane. Still, I couldn’t deny that his type of crazy got results. Reluctantly I handed over an envelope to the man sitting on the sun-bleached bench. 

He opened it. Satisfied with my offering, he slid it into his jacket. “Ah, Watson,” he said. “Good to see you again.”

I shook my head and dropped onto the bench next to him. “My name is Jacobs. Caleb Jacobs,” I said, hoping the reminder might stick this time. 

He turned to me. “Did you say something?”

I sighed. “No, Holmes.” 

If I wasn’t desperate for his help, I’d strangle him. Of course my superiors at the Philadelphia Homicide Unit wouldn’t appreciate that. But I wondered if a cop hiring a private investigator was any worse of a violation. I needed Lawrence Holmes for his connections and unique viewpoint, things my PHU colleagues couldn’t provide. He might not be the fictional character he played at, but he was a talented PI.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

To support his writing addiction and excessively extravagant lifestyle, David Siegel Bernstein, PhD, is a data scientist who consults as a forensic statistician. That sounds really boring until you realize that his clients include the US National Security Agency (NSA), the Secret Service, the FBI, the Department of Justice (DOJ), and a host of other acronymonious agencies who cultivate exciting and shadowy reputations. Alas, those reputations are mere facades that disguise the real reason these organizations exist, which is to keep him entertained and fed.
When David wants a break from this spellbinding work, he writes. His fiction credits encompass two novelettes and sixty shorts. His nonfiction has appeared in newsletters, popular blogs, academic journals and he is the author of the book Blockbuster Science: The Real Science in Science Fiction.
He lives within the shadow of Philadelphia with his wife, Michelle, two children, Seth and Gwendolyn, and a dog named Ringo Biggles Woofington.

DavidSiegelBernstein.blogspot.com

twitter: @DavidBernstein

instagram @davidsieglebernstein


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GIVEAWAY INFORMATION and RAFFLECOPTER CODE:

David Siegel Bernstein will be awarding a $25 Amazon or Barnes and Noble GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.


11 comments: