Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter

Growing up in the 60’s our Easter focused on clothes. My mom always bought us girls a new frilly dress with an organza slip which made a crinkling sound when we moved. Accessories of white patient leather shoes, bonnet and purse were a must. Of course we wore the fashion statement of the time white gloves. Looking back, I guess my brother got the short end of the deal. He wore a white shirt and tie with dress slack but he probably wouldn’t have appreciated the purse and gloves. When we had egg hunts back then, we used real hardboiled eggs. A fact my daughter finds hard to believe. Invariably, two weeks after Easter my dad would find a forgotten egg with the lawn mower. No matter what the function was my mom made a lot of food. Easter required a large ham dinner. Today when my family gets together it’s a more causal function. Luckily there is no white glove test in my house. We have a brunch for the family. The Easter egg hunt is with plastic filled eggs so there’s no worry if they’re forgotten in the grass. Happy Easter!

3 comments:

  1. Yes, these are beautiful eggs! Had to laugh about the crinkly slip and all the accessories. Wouldn't have been very appropriate for the trees I climbed. LOL!

    But I definitely remember a few hard-boiled eggs discovered in the yard long after Easter was over. Always an adventure. :)

    Thanks for sharing your family traditions. I enjoyed hearing about them!


    -Amber Angel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments. I climbed trees too but there were times mom required us to dress up.

    ReplyDelete