![]() |
| Copyrighted photo |
Like many women, I wear a lot of different hats: writer, graphic designer, dog lover, mom, grandma, daughter, landscaper, house remodeler--to name a few. About a year and a half ago, I was in a situation where I had to finish some major remodeling projects to refinance my house. This wasn't a nice-to-do, buy-some-pretty-pillows-for-the-couch project, but a finish-the-bathroom/utility room/kitchen or lose-your-house situation. There was no money to hire help, and my usual almost-free assistants weren't available. I had to do it myself. Panic tried to capture me in its numbing talons a number of times, but I didn't have time for it. I had to keep nailing and grouting and painting. Yes, I pulled this off. Thanks to celestial support and the adrenaline rush from avoiding those Talons of Panic.
I came out of that experience with some lessons. The biggest one was a feeling of confidence in myself and my abilities. Under intense pressure, a miracle occurred.
Another lesson was I don't ever want to go through that again. Some people may be scratching their heads saying "duh." But this is a lifestyle change for a procrastinator like me who built a reputation for pulling off last-minute jobs when I was working in an office as a graphic designer. Doing that may be a boost to the ego at first, but when the adrenaline edge wears off and exhaustion sets in, the personal cost becomes clear.
So another lesson I'm still learning is to enjoy a slow-building miracle. Plan a landscape remodel for a narrow section of my yard and do the work over several days instead of one afternoon. Or take several weeks to edit a book and deepen the emotional stakes. Readers will appreciate the story.
Do you have any slow-building miracles in progress?

Love this, slow building miracles. I think I could say without a doubt that my slow building miracle is Rogue Phoenix Press.
ReplyDeleteAnd I am so grateful for the slow-building miracle of RPP! :)
ReplyDelete-Amber Angel