Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Rogues Angels Present: Violet Fire by Kelsey Quick

Please welcome Kelsey Quick author of Violet Fire

Kelsey Quick will be awarding a $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.


A Violet Fire
by Kelsey Quick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GENRE: YA Fantasy/Paranormal Romance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INTERVIEW:

What or who inspired you to start writing?
About four years ago, in 2015, I was reading a fan fiction that was particularly awful. Despite being told in the past that my writing wasn’t that great, I decided to try writing my own fan fiction. I wrote 1,000 words and published it to the site “for funsies.” I received about 6 comments and 3 follows. Because I’d always thought I was a horrible writer, that was amazing to me. So I put out another chapter, and then another, and another. By the end of my first fan fiction I had written close to 150k in six months, and had over 500 people following the story. Paired with the 600+ reviews on the story that were always so supportive, I decided to write my own novel. The short answer to “who inspired me to start writing” is my original fan fiction fans, who are also the subject of my dedication page in A Violet Fire. 

How did you come up with your idea for your novel?
Back in high school, around 2007, I was reading a manga called Vampire Knight by Matsuri Hino. The “air” of that story—both in art and in concept—really stood out to me. Unlike its Twilight counterpart of the era, it was very much a dark, vampire romance. I fell in love with the idea of an bleak world filled with vampires, and wondered, “what would happen if vampires ruled the world and treated humans like blood slaves?” Thus, what is now A Violet Fire was born! I never forgot the idea, and I’d like to think my spin on the vampire genre is pretty unique.  

What expertise did you bring to your writing?
Luckily, I went through school thinking there was no way I would be able to make a living as a comic artist—and writing was not even on my radar at the time. So I decided to go into Business, more specifically into Entrepreneurial Marketing because of its artistic and psychological roots (psychology is a big love of mine as well). I graduated with a double major in Marketing and Entrepreneurship, and I think that field of study alone has taken me far beyond what I could have imagined in everything that I have done. You start thinking about things differently. For example: Every time I would write a cliffhanger, I wouldn’t think, “Should I leave this in a cliffhanger?” So much as I would ask myself, “How can I make the reader want to read past the chapter break?” which is a concept of marketing. 

What would you want your readers to know about you that might not be in your bio?
What my readers don’t know about me is that my day job is very detail and left-brain oriented, in that if I get a number off so much as by an eighth, I could cost my company thousands of dollars. It’s a sector of manufacturing that deals with the processing of expensive steel parts, and let me tell you, it’s a difficult task when you are right-brained and aloof like me!

As far as your writing goes, what are your future plans?
I would like to finish this trilogy and then get signed by an agent, but who knows. I’ve tried that route and found the entire process to be a bit skewed, so I’m taking my thoughts on everything a day at a time. Overall, I believe that writing as a career is such a risky dream to dream, so I try to keep my feet on the ground about it. 

Can you give us a sneak peek into this book?
Well, sure! A Violet Fire follows the first present perspective of blood supply unit, Wavorly Sterling, as she seeks to escape the vampires that rule over her world. She belongs to one of the five rulers if the Vampire Stratocracy of Cain, Lord Anton Zein, who is nothing but a liar in her eyes—despite his saving her from death when she was younger. 

Here is a short excerpt from one of their interactions: 

I swallow down building tension as the embedded lines of sickness spread to his jaw, then to his lips—fast and haunting. Just how much blood does Zein need to heal? Would what I have even be enough for something as sinister as this? 
The clear of the tube is soon replaced by a thick and dark red that is enough to churn my stomach. He places the end of the tube in between his teeth and tilts his head back, letting its contents drip ever so slowly down into his throat. 

Do you belong to a critique group? If so, how does this help or hinder your writing?
I actually do not belong to a critique group! I probably should get one, but I’m also a very private writer. I don’t want anyone to read it if I don’t feel absolutely certain they will like most of it. I tend to take criticism harshly, especially if it’s not said in a constructive way, and seeing just how many varying opinions there are when it comes to books, I’m very cautious of whose I take into consideration. 

When did you first decide to submit your work? Please tell us what or who encouraged you to take this big step?
Oh, to be young and naïve again. At first, when I wrote my novel, it was just me and my world of fanfiction friends cheering me on. Once I finished, I knew that I needed to send it off to try and get published or else the entire process would have been in vain (obviously not “in vain” but I like to exaggerate). Then I found the world of writing Twitter, and everything changed. Suddenly I realized that a lot of people had books and a lot of people were not getting agents, let alone publishing deals. I decided to submit my work due to a phrase I’ve always lived by, “It may only be a 1% chance if you try, but it’s a 0% chance if you don’t try.”

What is the best and worst advice you ever received? (regarding writing or publishing)
The best advice I have ever received — Every nixed word gets you closer. Every failure builds you toward success, just don’t give up. 
The worst advice I have ever received — Getting a traditional publisher means that you don’t have to worry about the marketing or budget, they do it for you. (FYI, that’s a flat-out lie.)

Do you outline your books or just start writing?
I just start writing. I can’t outline to save my life and when I do, I lose all creative drive in the process. Open-ended writing is a must for me!



BLURB:

"A vampire tale with a heady mix of defiance and doubt, rebellion and romance." — Kirkus Reviews

"There is not a single dull moment in this book... A Violet Fire has all the ingredients to become the next Hollywood movie about vampires." — Readers' Favorite

"In the Vampire Stratocracy of Cain, human blood is scarce. For centuries, councils have sought to assuage the blood shortage by enslaving and breeding humans, turning them into profitable supply units for the rich and the abled.

Today, eighteen-year-old Wavorly Sterling is officially a supply unit, bound to serve her blood willingly to her master for the rest of her life. One of only few humans that was not bred in Cain, Wavorly knows freedom better than anyone, and she is determined to escape the clutches of her oppressors—despite the allure of forbidden love."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

EXCERPT:

The weight of their presence grows heavier, bringing with it the animosity of a plague; a terror that I take all the way down to the marrow of my bones; a seeping cold that is bristled with thousands of tiny needle-head points, sending fire along my spent arms and shoulders. It blasts its way down into my soul, threatening to obliterate every ounce of resolve that has landed me here, along these steadfast bricks, amidst my escape from the Stratocracy of Cain—amidst my escape from the vampires.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Kelsey Quick is a novelist, artist, and businesswoman who loves her husband, huskies, and video games. Since the age of two, Kelsey has been bound and determined to create. From traditional impressionist paintings, to digital comic creation; from fanfiction to full-length novels… her desire for crisp and prime escapism is never-ending. A Violet Fire is her debut novel, harboring the idea she’s had and held dear to her heart for over a decade. 


Website: http://www.avioletfire.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/avioletfire1
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/avioletfire/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/avioletfire/
Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/47179561-a-violet-fire
Amazon Preorder eBook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XNKH9XL
Amazon Preorder Hardcover/paperback: https://www.amazon.com/Violet-Fire-Kelsey-Quick/dp/1733072403
Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-violet-fire-kelsey-quick/1131658735?ean=9781733072403

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GIVEAWAY INFORMATION and RAFFLECOPTER CODE

Kelsey Quick will be awarding a $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.

http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/28e4345f3206

10 comments:

  1. I myself am a writer but very afraid to let people see my work. Cause you know "what if they font like it? What if my writing sucks?" You are an inspiration. Do you read every review you get on your book? (I know people can be harsh when leaving reviews and I've read some from books I love. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3
      I was too, at first. Especially when I started getting into fanfiction chapters that people didn't like. I'm such a words of affirmation person, so criticism or out-right mean reviews can really cripple me for a time. You're so sweet to say that! Wow, thank you! Yes, I read every single review regardless of rating. The reasons being:

      1. I don't have enough discipline to tell myself no.
      2. Almost every review has something you can learn from, you just have to learn how to separate the noise from the points of note.
      3. I have to learn my flaws. Everyone is a writer, but not everyone can write to the expectations of their consumers which is what you need to make a business out of writing.

      I've been left bedridden and depressed by a review before, but that thick skin is necessary. I think if you want to write, starting in fanfiction is the best way. You get reviews and advice along the way. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for hosting, Rogue's Angels! I'll be off and on all day answering questions as they come. :)

    Much love,
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for taking time to bring to our attention another great read.   I appreciate it and thank you also for the giveaway. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Lottie! :D It's weird talking about myself, haha.

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the Angel's blog. I hope you have a great tour. Allana Angel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Allana/Christine! :)

      Delete