Monday, July 6, 2020

Rogue's Angels Present: The Umpire Was Blind! by Jonathan Weeks

Please welcome Jonathan Weeks author of The Umpire Was Blind!




The Umpire Was Blind!
byJonathan Weeks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GENRE:   Sports history/biography

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INTERVIEW:

1. What or who inspired you to start writing?
I started reading comic books when I was about six or seven years-old. I was instantly motivated to start drawing and writing my own stuff. Things just grew from there. On the topic of comics, don’t ever ask me to choose a side in the Marvel vs. DCdebate.In my opinion, both companies are great!
2. What elements are necessary components for this genre?
Baseball is a game of numbers. But too many statistics can make a book dry. I’m always in search of funny anecdotes, clever quotes, and weird incidents on or off the field. It really spices things up.  
3. What expertise did you bring to your writing?
I hate to go tooting my own horn, but I’ve written extensively on the topic of baseball. The Umpire Was Blind! is my sixth non-fiction book. I also wrote a novel about baseball in the World War II era. I would have to say that the early days of baseball are the most fun to write about. Players were more colorful back then. And a lot of strange things happened before rules were developed to prohibit specific strategies.
 4. As far as your writing goes, what are your future plans?
I have a book coming out next year. It’s about hockey, which is also one of my favorite sports. For years, I have wanted to write about my favorite team—The Boson Bruins. Finally, I can check off that box!
5. Do you belong to a critique group? If so how does this help or hinder your writing?
I don’t belong to a critique group. But I have a couple of friends I really trust to look at my work and tell me honestly if it sucks or not. To be a writer, you have to have thick skin. I’ve been several months into a project before realizing that it just isn’t going to work. I’ve also had editors and readers tear apart my writing. It’s part of the business. The editors I listen to. The readers—not so much. I’ll share a little secret: bad reviews tend to hurt my feelings.((Tell no one!))
6. When did you first decide to submit your work? Please tell us what or who encouraged you to take this big step?
My high school English teachers gave me a lot of encouragement. My three favorites at Linton High School in Schenectady were Nancy King, Greg Wolos and Tom Della Sala. Without them, it’s doubtful I would have continued writing or submitted my work. I am forever grateful to all the teachers who made me feel special over the years. And I have never forgotten them.  
7. What is the best and worst advice you ever received? (regarding writing or publishing)
The best advice I ever received was to write for the pure enjoyment of it. Clearly, anyone who writes is a writer. Not all of us have been published, but the joy lies in the process itself. The worst advice I ever received is to stop writing because I would never make a living at it. It doesn’t really matter if my writing doesn’t pay the bills. I enjoy the escape it provides. And I already have a full-time job.
8. Do you outline your books or just start writing? 
I think it helps to create some sort of outline. When writing non-fiction, it’s best to pick up a copy of the most popular book on the topic you want to explore and read it from cover to cover. As you’re reading, you can jot down some of the things you want to discuss in your own work. I’m a strictly regimented non-fiction writer. I only research a chapter at a time. When I’m done with the research, I write that chapter before moving on to the next one. Every writer has a unique process. I think I might have a little OCD. (…chuckles to himself…)
9. How did you come up with the idea for your book?
I have been watching sporting events for years and griping about the calls of referees, umpires and assorted officials. The decisions they make can dramatically alter the fabric of sports history. So many bad calls have been made in baseball over the years with devastating consequences. As I began to write about the topic, I found myself curiously sympathizing with umpires. They take a lot of abuse from players and managers. There is a lot of pressure on them to get the calls right. With instant replay available now, they get proven wrong in front of thousands of fans. That’s got to be embarrassing! 
10. How do you maintain your creativity?
I’ve been saying for years that you can’t have output without input. I’m a huge fan of TV, movies, and books. The more you absorb, the more ideas come to you. 

BLURB:

In the words of former American League umpire Nestor Chylak, umpires are expected to “be perfect on the first day of the season and then get better every day.” Forced to deal with sullen managers and explosive players, they often take the blame for the failures of both. But let’s face it—umpires are only human.

For well over a century, the fortunes of Major League teams—and the fabric of baseball history itself—have been dramatically affected by the flawed decisions of officials. While the use of video replay in recent decades has reduced the number of bitter disputes, many situations remain exempt from review and are subject to swirling controversy. In the heat of the moment mistakes are often made, sometimes with monumental consequences.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~



EXCERPT:

…The World Series opened in Pittsburgh with a convincing 4-1 Washington victory. The Pirates bounced back in Game 2, surviving a late Senators rally to win, 3-2. The third meeting took place in the nation’s capital, where the sale of more than thirty-six thousand tickets necessitated the construction of temporary bleachers at Griffith Stadium. Braving the elements on a cold, breezy Saturday afternoon, President Calvin Coolidge was among those in attendance.

The two teams pecked away at each other through six innings, scattering runs here and there. Facing right-hander Ray Kremer, the Senators loaded the bases with one out in the bottom of the seventh. First baseman Joe Judge—a fixture in the Washington lineup for over a decade—drove in Earl McNeely with a sacrifice fly. Right fielder Joe Harris followed with a single, putting the Senators up, 4-3. 

Looking to protect the lead, Washington player/manager Bucky Harris implemented a defensive switch, moving Rice to right field from center to accommodate McNeely, who had been inserted as a pinch-runner. Firpo Marberry, the game’s first prominent relief specialist, was summoned from the bullpen. The Senators appeared to be safe from harm when Marberry struck out shortstop Glenn Wright and first baseman George Grantham in succession. But things got interesting when catcher Earl Smith came to bat. 

Smith’s .313 average during the regular season was second best in the majors among players with at least ninety-five appearances behind the plate. A spirited brawler who rarely backed down from a challenge, Smith drove Marberry’s 2-2 offering to deep right field, where Rice sprang into action. The wide-ranging outfielder sprinted toward the ball and made a back-handed stab in front of the temporary bleachers. Unable to stop his forward momentum, he tumbled over the barrier into the stands and disappeared from view. What happened in the next few seconds remains uncertain.

In those days, umpiring crews consisted of four men with one being assigned to each infield station. Attending to second base that day, veteran arbiter Cy Rigler rushed to the scene to make the call. Several seconds passed before Rice reappeared. Years later, an eyewitness remarked that “it was longer than a TV station break with eight consecutive commercials.” Another spectator—a man named Norman Budesheim—claimed that Rice dropped the ball before he landed and then jostled with fans for possession. Whatever the case, Rice had the ball in his glove when he finally rose to his feet. Rigler signaled for the out and, after a lengthy discussion, his decision was supported by the rest of the crew. 

On the heels of the Senators’ 4-3 win, more than 1,600 fans wrote to commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis to relay their side of the story. Some even sent notarized affidavits attesting to the fact that Rice had dropped the ball. Going straight to the source, Landis summoned Rice to his hotel the following day and asked him point-blank if he had made the catch. The tight-lipped Hall of Famer replied guardedly: “Judge, the umpire said I did.” Landis mulled this over for a few seconds and responded: “”Sam, let’s leave it that way.”   




~~~~~~~~~~~~~


AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Weeks spent most of his life in the Capital District region of New York State. He earned a degree in psychology from SUNY Albany. In 2004, he migrated to Malone, NY. He continues to gripe about the frigid winter temperatures to the present day. He has published several books on the topic of baseball. He would have loved to play professionally, but lacked the talent. He still can't hit a curve ball or lay off the high heat. In the winter months, he moonlights as a hockey fan.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GIVEAWAY INFORMATION and RAFFLECOPTER CODE:

Jonathan Weeks will be awarding a $10 Amazon Gift Card to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.


14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much for having me as a guest. I enjoyed preparing the promotional material.

      Delete
  2. Have you started to write your next book yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have. In fact, I have one completed and scheduled for release next year. It's about The Boston Bruins. Right now, I am working on a book about Babe Ruth.

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the Angel's blog. I hope you have a great tour. Allana Angel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been here before. This is a great blog. I appreciate the warm welcome.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest! I love sharing stories about baseball.

      Delete
  5. Great giveaway and excerpt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Again--for the record--the gieaway is for a $25 Amazon Card. Not $10.

      Delete
  6. Your welcome. The giveaway says $10, but I am actually giving away a $25 Amazon card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think even my parents would have liked this book if they were here:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so interesting! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete