HOPE
Watching American Idol with the Mr. this week, and I was struck by a very sad fact. On the program, one young man was recovering from the loss of two of his brothers this last year to suicide. Another contestant brought her brother to Hawai'i with her as he recovers from a suicide attempt.
Our nation has an outrageously high suicide rate among young people. I don't recall EVER hearing of a ten year old committing suicide during the time I was growing up. Yet, the news is full of stories of very young people turning to this option too often. The point I'm trying to make is we, as writers, need to provide hope in our novels.
My upbringing was a good one, albeit, very lonely. When you are always the new kid in class, or the neighborhood, or church, you spend a lot of time trying not to be miserable. My escape was books. I had a mother who did not tolerate us sitting in front of the television, i. e., boob tube.
I feel it my duty to create characters for my stories that are relatable. I hope I can provide a few hours of complete escape for all of my readers. When they ask me how soon the next book is due out, I know I've hit the mark. Let's all hit the mark and offer hope in our books. It's sorely needed.
Sable Angel

No comments:
Post a Comment