Please welcome Jean M. Grant author of Will Rise From Ashes
Jean M. Grant will be awarding $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.
Will Rise from Ashes
by Jean M. Grant
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GENRE: Women's Fiction
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
INTERVIEW:
1. What elements are necessary components for this genre? The Women’s Fiction genrefocuses on the woman’s emotional journey, with or without a happy ever after. Contemporary or historical, the core to all women’s fiction novels is the emotional element. From there, the author can take any twist…mystery, suspense, paranormal…so long as there is a woman’s journey toward self-understanding and growth. Romance can be an underlying element or subplot, but is not required.
2. How did you come up with your idea for your novel? I love science and wondering about what if…with a family who also loves science, especially volcanoes, I thought a story about a mother’s journey in the wake of the eruption would be interesting.
3. What expertise did you bring to your writing? My own parenting angle sometimes seeps into my stories. I also have a background in science and love traveling. From there, I let my imagination and research go wild and I enjoy taking my fictional characters on journeys of heartache, healing, and hope. Like any book that has a parenting (and in this case, autism) angle, it’s important to remember that all experiences are subjective. Life is filled with a spectrum of experiences, and this fictional story is just one perspective.
4. What would you want your readers to know about you that might not be in yourbio?This is always a fun one! I love sharks, coffee (not tea), vanilla over chocolate, lip balm (I have at least four open at any given time), Snoopy, flower gardening, cats (not dogs so much – sorry!). I’m a morning rooster, definitely not a night owl. Pink Post-it’s and red pens are a must in organization. I don’t use phone calendars and much prefer a good ol’ written calendar. I’ve not been on a bike in 25 years but I’m getting one this spring.
5. As far as your writing goes, what are your future plans? I’m writing the third, and final, book in my historical romance trilogy. Then after that I hope to write another contemporary romance or delve deeper into the women’s fiction/mainstream genre.
6. If you could be one of the characters from this book, who would it be and why? I like each of them for different reasons. I do enjoy the viewpoint from 9-year-old Will, so if I had to choose a character’s shoes to walk in for a day, I’d pick him. He is intelligent, inquisitive, quirky, sweet, and kind. He also sees the good in humans, and in a time where humanity is put to the test, that is an important trait to possess.
7. Can you give us a sneak peek into this book?
A younger widow with an autistic son meets her greatest adversary yet: a volcano. They make the perfect team on this journey to conquer this changed world. Her younger son is missing in the aftermath and despite her anxiety with driving, she embarks on a cross-country road trip to find him. She can’t lose another loved one. Along the way she meets a man with his own haunted past. Together, he and Will show her that living is more than mere survival. Can she let go of the past, accept her present, and embrace an uncertain future?
8. When did you first decide to submit your work? Please tell us what or who encouraged you to take this big step? This book was my most challenging of all of them to date for various reasons and underwent much revision [though I have another one in the development stages that is causing me quite a headache, so it may take the gold for most difficult!]. Though the publisher of my romances publishes non-romance genres, I was hesitant submitting this book. Boy, was I wrong! My editor loved it. That gave me the push to bring this book to print.
9. How do you maintain your creativity?Do some non-writing things! I love to garden, hike, travel, bake (and eat), drink coffee, hang with friends, do activities with my family. In fact, usually while enjoying hobbies and other non-writing aspects of my life, the creative muse hits! And I’m left with more ideas for a book, a scene, a character…
10. Who is your favorite character in the book? Can you tell us why? I like them all for different reasons. I like that my villain is the backdrop of a volcano eruption. I enjoyed researching all things volcano and Yellowstone and ash. Aside from this “villain,” my other favorite is Will, AJ’s 9-year-old son. His perspective was an experience to write and I hope my readers enjoy getting into both his and AJ’s psyche.
BLURB:
Young widow AJ Sinclair has persevered through much heartache. Has she met her match when the Yellowstone supervolcano erupts, leaving her separated from her youngest son and her brother? Tens of thousands are dead or missing in a swath of massive destruction. She and her nine-year-old autistic son, Will, embark on a risky road trip from Maine to the epicenter to find her family. She can't lose another loved one.
Along the way, they meet Reid Gregory, who travels his own road to perdition looking for his sister. Drawn together by AJ's fear of driving and Reid's military and local expertise, their journey to Colorado is fraught with the chaotic aftermath of the eruption. AJ's anxiety and faith in humanity are put to the test as she heals her past, accepts her family's present, and embraces uncertainty as Will and Reid show her a world she had almost forgotten.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
EXCERPT:
Even from far away, I recognized the man’s plaid long-sleeved shirt and the large backpack, but now he was walking alongside a bike on his approach.
“Hey, look! It’s that guy you drove past this morning!”
I shuddered inwardly. Well, karma just bit me in the butt.
“How did he catch up with us?” Motherly instinct took over as I rose, my legs wobbly. “Will, stay there. Here, take this,” I said, handing him the tire iron.
“We already tried that, Mom.”
“Not for that, Will.”
He scratched his brown hair, which was overdue for a cut, and looked at me, confusion wrinkling his brow.
“Be my wizard, Will. It’s your sword.”
“Wizards have wands.”
“Will…”
The circuit connected. “Oh…yes, Mom, I’ll protect you!”
I smiled faintly. “Thank you, honey.” I didn’t want to explain further that it was me protecting him. I didn’t want to say that if something happened, to run and hide in the woods. Because he would run and hide. Then what? Who would come help?
I shoved my hand into my front jeans pocket to nestle my fingertips around the pocket knife I had given Harrison for our wedding anniversary. The man slowed his bicycle as he drew nearer. He gave me an understated, yet significant, nod. The nod of understanding, of kindness. I didn’t buy it.
“Hello, again,” he said.
Ouch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AUTHOR Bio and Links:
Jean’s background is in science and she draws from her interests in history, nature, and her family for inspiration. She writes historical and contemporary romances and women’s fiction. She also writes articles for family-oriented travel magazines. When she’s not writing or chasing children, she enjoys tending to her flower gardens, hiking, and doing just about anything in the outdoors.
Website https://www.jeanmgrant.com/
Twitter https://twitter.com/JeanGrant05
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/jeanmgrantauthor/
Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/16582543.Jean_M_Grant
Bookbub https://www.bookbub.com/authors/jean-m-grant
Amazon Author Page https://www.amazon.com/Jean-M.-Grant/e/B0728KFXP9/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GIVEAWAY INFORMATION and RAFFLECOPTER CODE
Jean M. Grant will be awarding $25 Amazon/BN GC to a randomly drawn winner via rafflecopter during the tour.
http://www.rafflecopter.com/rafl/display/28e4345f2993



Thanks for hosting!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for both the book description and giveaway as well. I enjoy hearing about another good book.
ReplyDeleteThanks for hosting!
ReplyDeleteToday's question: Have you ever read a book that you connected with so much that you thought the writer could have written it about you?
Welcome to the Angel's blog. I hope you have a great tour. Allana Angel
ReplyDeleteThanks for having me! :)
DeleteIt's nice to hear some of the story behind the story. Good luck, Jean.
ReplyDeleteAlso love all your support, Sandra. Thanks for stopping by!
DeleteGreat post, I enjoyed reading it :)
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear that. :) Thanks for stopping by.
Delete