The 2004 movie, National Treasure, has a spot where the main character, Benjamin Franklin Gates, paraphrases Thomas Edison. He, Benjamin, was asked why he continued to hunt for treasure when all he seemed to do was fail. According to the quote:
When asked why he worked on the light bulb when he'd failed so often, Edison replied, "I didn't fail. I found 2,000 ways how not to make a light bulb. I only need to find one way to make it work."
I believe the same theory applies to writers. We get wonderful ideas for stories we wish to share with the world hoping they will embrace our visions and, in the process, reward our hard work with a few shekels. When our amazing ideas meet with silence, it can be deeply disappointing.
Such is my own journey. My writing was born out of a need to communicate what I felt in a manner that didn't make those around me feel intimidated. I can be bullish about some of my beliefs. [I know... big eye roll, no duh.] When I penned a short story about a young lady and a dragon who meet near Mt. St. Helen's in the Northwest, I found an unlikely advocate; my 'I don't read' husband. He was vocally very excited about the premise of the story and highly encouraged me to expand the characters and scope.
So-o-o-o... I now have a three dragon stories published and an additional nine or so stories in the works. Have they done well? Mmmm, no. I don't believe I've made enough in royalties to cover the cost of my internet connection. But I'm one of many who is unable to write the searing, flame-hot, romances pulling in the big bucks. Am I jealous? I'd be a liar if I said no. The majority of set-your-hair-on-fire romances are centered around well written stories. I can edit them but not write them.
In accordance with the title of this piece, I've failed. I haven't succeeded in my chosen passion. But every time I think about quitting and throwing in my computer keyboard, my characters literally keep me, and my husband, awake at night. Some stories just won't die. So, I go about putting those ideas on paper hoping my publisher finds them worthy of print and take solace in the knowledge I'll get some sleep this holiday.
Don't feed the reindeer before you start a journey, and have a wonderful holiday season.
Sable Angel

No comments:
Post a Comment